WHY MY FAITH KEPT ME STUCK IN A TOXIC RELATIONSHIP

Penny - founder of NASG

penny@C2C.co.za 

Part 9:

Words cannot express the extent of my frustration and disappointment. I was seething with anger, this time towards God. How could he have betrayed me!? Why would he allow me to be the one labelled as having a “mental illness” and my husband get away scot-free? I was incensed with the injustice of it all but couldn’t discuss this or admit it to my Christian friends as I knew I would be judged for feeling or even thinking that God, who is love, had betrayed me.

It took about 3 years – yes that long – for me to accept my fate and be able to put my trust in God again. I know. For those of you reading this, you must be wondering how on earth I deduced that God had betrayed me, but I felt that it was he who had encouraged me to take a step of faith into the unknown and out of an abusive marriage. I had reached a point where I believed that God was not okay with the way I was being treated. According to the bible, I am his beloved child and as a parent, I certainly would have been more than happy if my child had left.

I went back to church, attended my home group, read my bible, prayed, and journaled. Once again it was emphasized that God CAN change people and I must just exercise faith and things will turn around. I prayed every day for that miracle of change as well as asked God to search my heart and show me where I could change so that my everyday life would become more tolerable. Learning how to forgive became tantamount so that I could remain calm and not become bitter and resentful. I truly loved God and asked for guidance and wisdom, hoping, trusting, forgiving, reading the word, and trying to be a godly wife. I had great faith and my saving grace was the love, joy, and peace of God that I experienced whilst I was in his presence.

Many years later we went to counselling, again, and I gave him an ultimatum: “Either you stop drinking or I file for a divorce”. The counsellor asked him what his decision was in that regard. He was annoyed at my insistence that he stop drinking, but having been put on the spot, reluctantly agreed to do so to preserve our marriage. She suggested that he join AA as that was the only way that people with drinking problems manage to stop and not start drinking again. He grunted, supposedly in agreement, but once out of her rooms, told me very aggressively, that he was NOT going to be joining AA - he could do it on his own! He managed to keep his word and stop drinking, for a while. He then got fed up and started drinking whenever he travelled, which was often. I was terribly upset when I found out as yet again, he had broken his promise to me, but my daughters convinced me to let it go, as “at least he’s not embarrassing you and coming home drunk whilst he’s at home mom.” I relented because they were right. It did offer me some respite.

(To be continued…)

www.courage2change.co.za

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog